Students attending the Chesapeake Bay Governor’s School for Marine & Environmental Sciences have the option of earning a CBGS Community Service “gold” cord. The gold cord will be presented at graduation. The following guidelines must be met to earn this cord:
- Students must complete a total of 120 hours of community service, with 40 per year suggested but not required. (If a student enters CBGS as a junior, 80 total hours are required.)
- 60 hours must be in the area of Marine & Environmental Science. (40 such hours for entering juniors)
- All hours must be documented and signed by a project supervisor.
- Hours are only awarded for services that are provided to or for the public at no charge; family obligations are not allowed.
- Environmental hours, as approved by the instructor, may only be earned for services that are above and beyond class requirements. These hours might include oyster restoration, highway cleanup, water quality testing, river cleanup, park service, etc.
- Hours must be completed and submitted for approval to the campus teacher in charge of logging service hours.
- All community service hours should be submitted at least ten days before the CBGS Senior Night celebration for graduates.